A wrap is a very long piece of fabric that is used to wrap around you and your baby. Wraps are very comfortable to wear that spreads across your whole back and allows you to hold your baby in different carrying position.
It is not hard to see why parents love the convenience of baby slings. Baby wearing gives freedom for the mother and the baby to do various tasks in and out of the home. Carrying your baby in a sling means a free workout as well. You could burn up extra calories by wearing your baby a few hours a day.
Many medical professionals believe that baby wearing has many benefits. One benefit is that baby wearing helps keep your baby happier. The position of your baby in a wrap promotes the proper development of leg and hip.
Is baby wrap safe for my baby?
When using a wrap, make sure that the sling is secured properly, worn, and wrapped. Before placing your baby in it, make a lot of practice first using a doll. When using a wrap, see to it that your baby’s face is always visible. Make sure that the wrap you bought is appropriate for the weight of your baby to ensure maximum protection and safety while carrying your child.
What to look for in a wrap?
Wraps can present some health problems when worn incorrectly. See to it that the wrap fits properly and also has clear instructions on how to properly use it. Consider the quality of the material, the design, and the level of comfort it will give for you and your baby.
- Ask yourself how frequent you will wear the sling. Be aware of the design before purchasing a wrap. Always make sure that you and your baby are both comfortable.
- Take note of the environment in which you will carry your baby.
- It is very important that you choose the correct size for you. A wrong size of sling is a safety concern for your baby and it might not hold her tight enough.
- Consider the type of holds you can use and if the wrap can be folded that can secure your baby on that particular hold.
- Wash care. Most fabrics are machine washable but there are some that will shrink and feel tight after washing. To ensure it holds its stretch, companies suggests that it is much better to clean dry, air dry, or just hand wash the wrap.
Baby slings are much like jeans or shoes that you need to try each style to know what’s best for you and your baby. With all the disadvantages of baby wearing, parents were investing on it. Baby wearing not only gives freedom for the mother and the baby to do things that are very important but also allows the mother and the baby to enjoy the times that they are so close with each other. Baby wearing promotes bonding time and emotional relationship between the parents and the baby.